We first wrote in 2016 about the pros and cons of solar energy and the advantages and disadvantages from a homeowners perspective of using solar energy to power their homes.
A lot has changed since then and so we thought it was time to update this article. Some of these changes are;
- solar batteries and energy storage solutions have sprung up,
- the cost of solar has fallen (a lot!!),
- first generation solar batteries like the original Tesla Powerwall came and then fell by the wayside,
- new second generation solar batteries with integrated battery inverters have come out,
- the federal solar tax credit was extended to the end of 2020,
- some local solar incentives have gone and some new solar incentives have started;
- The Trump administration imposed tariffs on solar panels
All of these things have changed the relative advantages of installing solar panels versus the relative disadvantages of using solar energy. The fortunate thing is that on balance the argument for an average American homeowner getting solar panels for their home is now better then it ever has been meaning in net terms the advantages are now far outweighing the disadvantages.