The U.S. solar industry is on the upswing, thanks to a pro-renewables presidential administration and increased concern over climate change. Solar Power World, the solar industry’s leading business-to-business publication, today recognizes the installation success of over 400 solar companies with the release of the 2021 Top Solar Contractors list. The Top Solar Contractors list is the most recognized annual listing of solar contractors in the United States working in the utility, commercial and residential markets.
“Not even COVID-19 closures and slowdowns could prevent the solar industry from installing fantastic numbers last year,” said Kelly Pickerel, editor in chief of Solar Power World. “The Solar Power World team is so glad to recognize over 400 companies on the 2021 Top Solar Contractors list that not only survived a pandemic but thrived in spite of it.”
The U.S. solar industry grew 43% in 2020, installing more solar panels on homes, businesses and across the country than any other year on record. The residential market saw an 11% increase, which is remarkable considering the difficulties of maneuvering home solar projects through pandemic precautions. The federal government passed a two-year extension on the solar investment tax credit (ITC) at the end of 2020, which will further accelerate solar adoption across all market segments. After installing 19.2 GW in 2020, research firm Wood Mackenzie expects the U.S. solar market to quadruple by 2030.
This special 10th anniversary edition of the Top Solar Contractors list gave the Solar Power World team the opportunity to reflect on the incredible growth of the industry over the last decade. The magazine features statistics and graphics highlighting that growth as well as Q&As with seasoned solar leaders and newcomers transforming companies with their passion.
“Ten years is a significant milestone within the solar community. Many companies reaching the 10-year mark are labeled veterans of the industry,” Pickerel said. “We’re honored to continue supporting the growing solar industry in recognizing the solar installers making that growth happen.”
This year also celebrates the inaugural class of Top Solar Champions, an awards program to honor individuals who excel in their jobs and solar advocacy efforts. Four solar professionals took home the first-ever Top Solar Advocate, Top Solar Installer, Top Solar Designer and Top Solar Changemaker awards. Solar Power World also awarded two companies with the Greenest Contractor and Most Forward-Thinking Contractor honors. See all the 2021 winners here.
Companies on the Top Solar Contractors list are grouped and listed by specific service (developer, electrical subcontractor, EPC, installation subcontractor, rooftop installer, sales partner), market (commercial, residential, utility) and states by 2020 installed capacity (in kWDC).
Here are some ways to interact with the 2021 Top Solar Contractors list:
Lists of contractors by market:
Lists of contractors by service:
Individual lists of contractors in all 50 states and 3 districts/territories:
Other interesting facts about the 2021 Top Solar Contractors list:
- The 2021 Top Solar Contractors class installed solar in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and two U.S. territories: Guam and Puerto Rico.
- 88% of the 2021 Top Solar Contractors work in the commercial market, 71% completed residential work in 2020; 38% participated on at least one utility-scale project; and 35% worked on off-grid installations.
- 92% of 2021 Top Solar Contractors perform installation; 88% are involved with project development or design; 84% handle sales; 76% perform electrical work; and 33% offer financing.
- The Top 5 headquartered states for 2021 Top Solar Contractors are California, Florida, New York, Arizona and Colorado.
- A survey sent to all listees revealed that more than half saw no change in employee morale from 2019 to 2021 (due to the pandemic), while 32% said employees are happier today than before the pandemic.
- 90% of survey respondents stated that their companies incorporate energy storage technologies into solar projects.
For more information on the annual Top Solar Contractors list, please read our FAQs.